Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Work, work, work...

Whoa.  Haven't posted in several weeks!  After Mike left, Chris and I became pretty absorbed in getting the work/daycare routine back in swing and we've not had much breathing room.  So, what's new?

Kaiya started daycare at Reina's Japanese school.  After a bit of a snafu with the Japanese daycare owner realizing she couldn't care for the girls in the early morning, we had to go back to the "old" daycare.  Did I already explain all of this?  Each morning, both girls are dropped off at AI preschool. Then, around 7:15am the Japanese daycare owner picks them both up and takes them to Mamiru (the Japanese school).  The first week with Kaiya was a bit rough.  She took about 3 days to really warm up to the idea of going elsewhere for the day.  I personally think she "cried a lot" because she was so dang tired.  Kaiya was pretty regularly taking a morning nap from about 730 - 930 each day during the summer.  When we started her at Mamiru she didn't nap in the morning at all the first week.  They kept telling me she needed more milk, more food. I knew better!  I also thought that she might not be sleeping since she's expected to sleep on a futon.  How they get mobile babies to sleep un-constrained is beyond me.  But, Kaiya does it no problem now.   I think she also needed to get used to all of the new sounds (and people). Either way, she's doing great now, as is Reina, who has thoroughly enjoyed spending time with all of her Japanese friends.
Her Yukata

Reina's Japanese came right back after the first week of school.  She's even learned some Eisa dancing for Grandparents day, which is coming up this weekend.  She is to report to the Araha beach stage in a yukata (summer kimono) to dance for her grandparents.  Hopefully we can pick up Oba-chan on Saturday so that she can help me tie the kimono and watch Reina's cute dance. Oh man is it cute.  I can't wait to see them all together.  ***ETA: We just found out there is another HUGE typhoon headed right for us.  Looks like our weekend is shot. Its still a bit far out, so it could weaken or veer, but I don't think we'll be going to the pool, nor grandparents day.

Halloween Preview - what am I going to do with her hair?
Reina has entered a new stage of 3-isms.  She will now tell you whatever she is thinking, regardless of how appropriate it is.  For example, at the beach, she asked me quite loudly, "What's wrong with his face?"  The particular boy she was talking about, who was maybe 7ish and within earshot of this comment had freckles.  He was a red-head.  Hopefully he knew that three year olds say whatever they are thinking! Reina has gotten very excited about holidays, now that she understands all of the hoopla and presents they come with!  After much discussion, she decided she wanted to be Cinderella for Halloween.  I must have asked her every day for three days until I decided she really did want Cinderella.  I think she named about every other princess she knows too though!

On her way to bed.  Almost every doll she owns, she is carrying.
Bedtime in the Eastman house has gotten better, as I've mentioned.  Lately, after the girls are "tucked in," it is a lot of giggling.  Reina and Kaiya play with each other before they fall asleep, and its quite cute.  It doesn't seem to interfere too much with their sleeping, so I figured its ok.  Reina has also gotten very adamant about having her dolls sleep with her. Its so cute watching her tuck in Dolly next to her in bed, covered with a blanket.  Reina will even give her dolls instructions, like, "go to sleep now," etc.





At the cool kids' pool near our house.  100yen!



Kaiya has finally set more of a sleeping schedule.  We've got it down to twice a night feedings (11pm and 2am), with a 6am wake up.  Its tolerable, although once would be better and none would be amazing!  She's still only got her bottom two teeth, but I'm pretty sure those top two are ready to poke through any day.  Kaiya is really starting to understand what we're saying. Maybe I've mentioned this before (she'll "dance," or "splash" the water).  Most recently, Reina has taught her how to give five, or "pachi." Its not a perfect high five, but Kaiya has the idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment