Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Cultural Event

Reina's teacher tying her tighter.
Yesterday Reina and Kaiya's daycare celebrated Grandparents Day. Unfortunately, Chris had the "flu - bug" that Reina had earlier in the week, but I convinced him to suck it up and go.  He was able to sit and watch, and I know he and Reina enjoyed it, despite his upset stomach.

I took Reina next-door for help tying her Yukata (summer kimono).  All of my Japanese friends kept telling me it was easy, but I knew otherwise.  Thankfully, Megumi (Ako and Rana's mom) got Reina all tied up.  You see, each different piece on the yukata has a name and then there are these extra strings you add to change the length of the "robe." Reina's yukata was definitely too big for her, so there is a lot of fabric folded up under her yellow obi.  Kaiya was able to take a late nap and after a quick cereal and mac-n-cheese dinner, we hopped in the car.

The stage, with Araha Beach in back.
After getting angry driving through 5pm Saturday Chatan traffic we were a bit worried about getting a parking spot at Araha beach.  We got very lucky and snagged one very close to the cute little stage Reina was performing on. I had never seen it before, but it was an outdoor stage facing the beach. It was very nice. And Mamiru daycare had clearly spent a lot of time dressing the stage, making props, and putting on this little event.  I would say almost the entire daycare was there, with all of their parents and grandparents watching.
I'm in green, getting sung to by Reina.

"I-su-tu-man, Ka-i-ya, Ha-i"
Just after Reina's dance.  SO happy!
In the very beginning, they had all the little kids hold hands with their grandparents (or mom/dad) and then we sang Japanese songs together.  Reina got all shy, and didn't sing much, but she still tried to do all the hand gestures and she actually sang and showed me one of the songs earlier, I just didn't know what she was talking about.  It really made me proud, seeing all those little kids smiling, singing to their parents/grandparents, dressed up. They were so cute.  After this bit, they gave us presents.  Then they proceeded to this bit where each class carried (or I should say hoisted) a made up, well, I don't know how to describe it.  But, I was surprised to look back up at Chris (I was down close taking pictures) and see Kaiya gone.  When the kids starting circling the stage with their carriages, I started laughing at Kaiya because she showed up in a two-baby stroller with her friend Arisu.  Each time Reina's group passed me, it looked like she was about to cry.  I don't think she liked holding up the carriage; somehow she managed to carry it around 3 times.

Pushed in the stoller with Arisu
The schedule said 6 - 9.  We thought surely that was too late. Nope!  We left at 8pm.
Then each little class had a little dance followed by a part where each kid (or teacher) says the child's name.  Reina is in the chu-ri-pu (Tulip: 2 - 3yrs) class and Kaiya is in the tan-po-po (dandelion: 0 - 1yrs) class. Each class is named after a flower, and they are grouped by age.  Admittedly, Kaiya's class really shouldn't have had a dance, as the teachers danced and the kids either did nothing or cried for their parents.  Kaiya and Arisu were still in the stroller, happy as could be watching everything.   Reina's class went a bit later.  Reina and her teacher had to stop and find me because Reina could not go on any longer without water.  Thankfully, we had time to find a vending machine before Reina had to dance.

During Reina's dance, which she had shown us multiple times prior to this event, was clearly her favorite part. She took it very seriously, but did manage a smile too.  And, at the end, she said her name in the microphone, "ii-su-tu-man, Re-i-na" very clearly without hesitation.  I got everything on video too.

The next day we met Kaori and Skyla at the pool, as the 23rd was the last day for the summer (not sure why, as it will continue to be hot).  Kaiya and Reina loved the pool, and Kaiya even enjoyed it when Reina pulled her around in the inner tube.  Skyla did not enjoy it so much;  afterward however, she was excited to run away from Reina and play.

"Peace, like this Kaiya."






Reina, buttoning up Skyla after the pool


I really do love Mamiru-daycare. They are great, and I know that Reina (and eventually Kaiya's) Japanese will continue to improve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment