 |
| Manaka's Dance with the rest of the 2nd graders. |
 |
| Manaka - 2nd grade |
After what seems like several busy, typhoon-ruined weekends, this three-day weekend was much anticipated and enjoyed. Saturday morning, our Japanese neighbors (the ones I talk about less frequently) invited us to undo-kai (sports day). This was no elementary school field day. This was the type of event where you went the night before to tape off your section for where your family would sit. I was amazed at how serious the Japanese took this holiday. Saturday morning, Manaka (the oldest of the girls' next, next door, came by in her uniform to make sure we were in fact, coming to watch her at undo-kai (see picture). Her red hat is because she is on the red team, competed in points with the white hatted team. Ako and Miri, the other two girl neighbors in kindergarten had pink and blue hats, but that was special since they were in Kindergarden. Manaka, as you can see from her shirt, is in the 2nd grade (which is the same as ours). They ran races, did dances, and shot balls in hoops. What was really crazy is the whole thing was more or less run by the kids. They set it up, the counted points, they brought equipment out, then cleaned it up. They were quite self-sufficient.
Reina enjoyed watching all of the events and spending time with the other little ones, Rana and Ichika (Manaka and Miri's youngest sister), who are both 4, but technically in her grade, if we decide to send Reina to school with them. Reina will have her own undo-kai, held by her daycare on the 27th of this month. They've been practicing. I've been told to send sneakers each day with her and to also dress for running when we come, as we will be participating as well. Kaiya is to practice crawling on command (we've not had much success with this), but apparently its a whole-school event. After the last one, I"m sure it will be great.
 |
| Reina and Ichika, enjoying a lolly-pop under a tent. |
Not much other news. I included a picture of what has become a pretty common weekend routine. Chris wakes up with Kaiya around 5:30 (thank you Chris) and lets Reina and I sleep in till about 6:30 - 7. Since Chris doesn't want to wake up Reina, Kaiya falls asleep on the floor downstairs with him. Kaiya will crawl around, blanket in tote, until she finally gets sleepy enough to just stay where she is. The other picture is of Kaiya and Reina "helping" me make pancakes. Kaiya loves pancakes, and to be doing whatever we're doing, and this particular morning, we decided it would be fun to wear our new flower headbands. I fear that I'll never get another picture (or moment) with Kaiya in the headband, as she pretty much immediately tries to remove it.
No comments:
Post a Comment