Friday, August 20, 2010

The Last Weekend...

Its official. Summer is over. I head back to work on Monday and Chris on Wednesday. What an amazing summer we had.  Things always look better when you're looking back.  Why is that?  If there is one thing Reina has made me appreciate, it is time.  I am much better at living in the moment.  Thank you Reina.

We've been playing as much as possible these last few days.  Mainly in the water, since it is just too hot outside to do anything else.  On Wednesday we went to kid's night at the Officer's Club (and I got to make fun of Chris a little about busing tables, as this was his first job).  Reina had a lot of fun dancing with me and the other little kids.  I taught her the "makerena" and "YMCA" and then towards the end she just wanted to sit next to the "big" kids on the steps and watch everyone else dancing.


Sunday we had a bbq with our good Japanese friends.  Kaori has been a big help with sorting out the daycare for us.  She even said, "Reina will be really Japanese" after seeing the place, as almost all of the kids were Japanese (maybe there were 2 or 3 half Japanese, no full Americans) and there was no A/C.  Yep. No A/C.  Now, maybe they had it and I couldn't see it on.  Japanese people, or I should say Okinawans seem to have a much higher tolerance to heat than us gaijins...as they may have the a/c on so low that I can't tell.  But, I digress. Every kid in there was pretty sweaty.  So, like I said, a cultural experience as well as a language one.

Anyhow.  On Thursday we went to the Comprehensive Water Park.  I think this might have been her favorite ever.  There were lots of different pools to go in that she thoroughly enjoyed.  Today we rode bikes to Araha Beach and played at the park and swam in the beach later to cool off.  Yes, we've been busy having fun these last few days.

We have been experimenting a bit with what Reina eats.  As some of you know, when Reina was around 1ish, she had a bad reaction to fish.  This was bad - as a LOT of Japanese food is made with fish seasoning.  Since Reina will be going to Japanese daycare and they provide food, we were a bit worried. So, we gave it ago.  For breakfast one morning this week she had a few soba noodles (that have fish seasoning) and she absolutely loved them! And she was fine. We have slowly added a bit more each day and we are happy to report that she is no longer having any reaction.  We also discovered that she LOVES spam onigiris (rice, cooked spam and egg all wrapped in seaweed) so today we made our own.  Man, she could hardly wait for them to cool before digging in.  She now often will request for "noo..." which means noodles and "ri" for rice.  She really is Japanese!

Monday Reina will head to daycare for a short trial run (Chris will get some golfing time in too), and then Tuesday she will meet Cody, who will take care of her on Wednesday.  Confused? Wednesday is a Japanese holiday so with the new day care comes a few new challenges.  But, we've got holiday one and two figured out, as my Dad just told us the him and Romeni will be visiting for Thanks-giving and they can watch her for the November holiday.  Jeff, and possibly Mike, will come for Xmas.  Lots to look forward to this Fall.

Ok.  Hope everyone enjoyed there summer - Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment