Monday, February 21, 2011

Another First

A new favorite - Mrs. Potato Head
As a parent, I have to remind myself to let go.  You invest so much time and energy into one little being, that you hate to see them get hurt.  So, when we're at playgrounds, I try to let little Reina have some independence (even though she seems to still turn to me and say, "Mommy, oide" (come here).

Baby Maddie!
Today Chris and I drove to Naha to get some kick a** shoes from sports depot. They were SO cool, and SO cheap that we're all going to be twins (yes, we even got Reina some).  On the way back, we stopped at Mona Kids, the Japanese version of an indoor park.  The rain has been crazy this week, and despite the sun popping out a bit, the ground is soaked.  So, we follow Reina around and try to keep her out of the way of the bigger kids, while she enjoys the ball pit, slides, and pretend bus.  Chris and I were watching her go up some tiny stairs, when WHAM, she trips and falls.  This really isn't that surprising, except when I realize she needs a "dako" (pick up), I turn her over and her nose is bleeding.  Yes....BLEEDING.  I quickly realize that this is not a little cut.  This is a gusher!  It is so hard to see your little girl cry and bleed. Oh man.  Chris and I rush her to the bathroom and try to get her nose to stop bleeding.  It really wasn't that bad, but I think we all were a bit rattled.  She is home now, all tucked in, totally happy.  But, I guess this means I still get to follow her closely! ;)

Reina's first french braid - I need MUCH more practice!
On a lighter note, Reina has really been trying to jump.  This is another one of those things that as adults you are totally unaware of - in that you actually have to learn how to jump.  I really need to get a video.  Its hilarious.  Its also inevitable that she is going to crash and burn doing this, since she likes to jump down stairs, something I fear she is not quite coordinated enough to land.

Look how big our snap peas are!
 On the speaking front, she has added "cho-dai" to her repertoire.  This is equivalent to "give me that please." We did notice that while her vocabulary in Japanese seems to be increasing daily, she still attempts sentences that are English based. For example, Reina might say, "Reina, nai bread." A combination of japanese and english, but the verb is in the middle of the sentence (nai means don't have) rather then the end, as is japanese style.  We are still undecided about what to do with her once she is school age.  There is a pre-school and elementary school within walking distance to our house.  Since Reina is on the young end for Japanese kids starting school, she can go to Japanese school in April (they start in April) prior to when she is allowed to attend American school. I think we may send her to Japanese school first and see how it goes.  Chris is worried that she will only meet her potential if she has one language....I'm not entirely sold on this idea.  What is important to us is that she maintains to be fluent in Japanese.  We are thinking that if she doesn't actually attend Japanese school, perhaps some activity with all Japanese children in combination with her friends in the neighborhood will be enough.  Oh the dilemas of schooling!  We have what, like 3 more years!  I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh every time I see Reina I can't get over how cute she is!

    I know about those bloody noses. They are more painful for the parents, I think. I can't take it when Jack gets hurt either.

    Man, if I was in your position, Jillian, I would totally go for the Japanese school. What an incredible opportunity! She will learn English at home all the time, but the reading and writing Japanese will only come from school. I really wish I could have had more schooling in Spanish (we went to a "bilingual" school, which meant I had 8 classes in English and only 1 in Spanish). As a result, my vocab and reading skills are not what they should be in Spanish. The owners of the school we went to had three children (Americans) that grew up in Honduras. They are 100% comfortable in both languages, and I really think kids don't have any trouble managing two languages perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, hope she is ok, we haven't had anythign major yet, just a cut lip (fell, tooth cut it). Syd can jump, just not off of things...but up and down on the floor she has down, but it was funny watching her learn it!
    I wish we had the opportunity to let Syd be more bilingual (Besides canadian, haha!) you guys are so lucky in that regard! (I would do the Japanese school too)

    ReplyDelete