Sunday, June 26, 2011

Phuket and the rest of Thailand

I couldn't deal with the internet in Phuket.  It was really really slow.

Anyhow, after a short plane ride to Phuket from Chang Mai (1.5hr), we negotiated a deal with a taxi to get to our hotel in Kata Beach (south-west Phuket).  Negotiating in Thailand is a tricky business.  Or, rather an unpleasant one.  Chris and I are not the negotiating type.  We're more of, you tell us what's fair, and we'll take your word for it.  Unfortunately, if you go this route, you will continually be taken advantage of, and that is not a good feeling.  Negotiating in Phuket was definitely the worst.  As it turns out, we got a great deal from the taxi driver going to our amazing hotel.  When we arrived we were served fruity drinks while we checked in, and then were "golf-carted" to our room.  We were upgraded to a room (by coincidence)  that had pool access.  This was by far the coolest part of this hotel.  There is a large pool (as in most hotels) but this one was connected by a moat the meandered throughout all of the rooms.  It was pretty convenient to leave your room, no need to stash a towel or camera somewhere, since you can just leave it on your personal balconi.  We jumped in the pool after we got a meal at our overpriced hotel restaurant, then tucked into bed for a good night of sleep.  The next day we went to the beach in our town (about a 10 min walk), which was of course gorgeous.  However, Reina wasn't feeling good (or something) and after playing in the quite strong waves, she was ready to go home.  We didn't do anything worth noting the rest of the day, except meals and the pool again.  The next day we tried the beach again,  and were much more successful.  Reina loved the waves and playing in the sand (although at the end she decided she was scared of the waves - they were the strongest I've ever been in - I wouldn't let her out of her floaty tube more for me, since I don't think I could stay above water without her in it).

Enter mean Thai man.  Reina, who has been a CHAMP at going in the potty this whole trip, told me while we were at the beach that she had to go.  So, we went up to the PUBLIC bathroom (I lugged her up there) only to find out that of course, they are charging 5 baht for it (15cents).  So I go get money, and we only have a 50baht note ($1.60).  So I give the note to the guy and he gives me 10 baht back. I'm like, no, you owe me more.  He says something about a shower and I say I don't want a shower.  He says no.  So I take my 50baht note out of his hand and storm off.  Now, in retrospect, 1.60 probably wasn't worth this whole ordeal (but I truly had know idea how much 50 baht was or 5 at this point). When you're learning a new currency, what its worth, what it looks like, its tricky (at least for me).  But I was PISSED that this man was denying my "been-potty-trained" for months 2 year old access to a public restroom. I should have pulled down her pants and had her pee in plants next to him.  Ugh.  So I storm back to the beach and try to coax Reina to pee in the ocean....with no success. She needs her panties off, and I can't imagine trying to get her panties off and keep track of her and them in these waves.  So, Chris says he'll take care of her....and about 10 min later they come back, and said he got her to pee in the trees!  What an ordeal.

Enter crazy Thai taxi driver.  So, after cleaning up and having lunch after the beach ordeal, we decide to cab it to the "big Buddha" and check out a mall (since Chris was on a hunt our entire trip for cheap soccer jerseys).  So, we negotiate with this lady on the street, make a deal and get in her car (no taxi sign - geez, I've had a million trainings on how you don't do this) and its like a souped up sports car with pretend bullet hole stickers in it!  Anyhow, we get in, because she seems like a sweet Thai lady.  We drive about 10 minutes out of town, only to be pulled over by a random police check point. Yep. Pulled over by the cops.  She reluctantly pulls over and has a fairly heated discussion with a cop whose head we never see.  Chris and I sit silently in the back, trying to comfort scared Reina, and trying to glean any information we can from this conversation that would tell us what is going on!  Finally the cop came back with what I can assume to be a ticket, and I think he took her licensee.  We still have no idea what happened, but we drove off to finish our pre-arranged trip with no other problems.  Perhaps she was an "illegal" taxi driver or something? She wasn't wearing her seatbelt?  We'll never know.

The next morning we played in the pool and packed for our trip to Bangkok.  We got pissed off at the hotel when they suggested a ridiculous price for a taxi back to the airport....twice what we paid to get there.....then they didn't bring back our laundry in time (and it cost $12 to have about 5 things washed)....so we left with a bit of a bitter taste in our mouths after all of these experiences!  Our flight to Bangkok was uneventful and we finally found a nice person who guided us to our hotel (for free!  Just out of the goodness of his heart - course he wasn't Thai).

In Bangkok, our hotel was the highest building in Thailand.  We were on the 57th floor with a great view.  We didn't have much time in Bangkok, so aside from doing a lot of walking around, we didn't see much other than shop vendors.  It was a very crowded, smelly city.  Oh, and somehow I have failed to mention how HOT it was in Thailand.  I am usually not one to complain about the heat....but this was the first place I've ever been where I had rings under my armpits!  Chris and I were wondering if it was actually that much more hot than Okinawa; in Okinawa the second you go into any store or restaurant, there is very cold a/c.  Not so in Thailand.  A/C is a luxury that you only get in your hotel room, and maybe a handful of restaurants we couldn't find!

All in all, it was a great trip. But before we go back, Chris and I will have to work on our negotiating skills.  Now we have to unpack, wash, and pack again for the big flight to the states on Wednesday...oh, and the ultrasound on Tuesday to hopefully determine the gender of baby number 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment