We saw the same pediatrician who took care of Reina in the hospital when she was born, so it was only fitting that we saw Dr. Krason again. Mind you, she probably didn't remember Reina, as the joke is, Lester specializes in delivering babies. Anyhow, Reina's newest "official" stats were: 28" and 19lbs 7oz. Before Dr. Krason even came into the room, she peaked in to verify that the scale did in fact say 19lbs. This was surprising b/c Reina hasn't gained an ounce since about 6 months. I didn't think this was such a big deal, but Dr. Krason informed us that we need to get Reina to eat and drink more calories, which might include placing butter on top of her food (this was her suggestion!) . I'm not too worr
ied about it, as I think just because she is under the weight of 50% of American babies doesn't seem too concerning, and really she is always walking or crawling. Other than that she thought Reina was doing great. Her head circumference was right on track, which we guessed was where all of the calories must have been going and all of her other
development milestones were on track.
What are these milestones? Gross and fine motor skills as well as communication. Reina is probably a little ahead on motor skills and according to the doc right on with communication. At home I have noticed that Reina is really starting to climb on everything. We have kept her little pink bumbo chair out and she often gets stuck in it, trying to climb in and out of it. Or if you leave out dia
pers or any kind of box, she likes to climb up and sit on them.
She has also started to copy us. I wished I had gotten it on camera, but the other night Chris and I could get her to put her hands above her head, and then down, and then clap. Of course we had to do it with her. She also has started to babble a lot. Just always see
ms to be talking to herself. If she ever addresses us, it is inevitably "dah dah dah," which she uses for most requests and objects.
Along with the copying, I think she might have started signing "more." We can get her to do it if Chris and I both do it SEVERAL times...we'll see if she starts to catch on that if she does the sign she receives more
.
I posted a pic or two of our Japanese friends who came over to see Reina for her bi
rthday. They brought diapers (you can never have enough of those), but more importantly Reina received her first "otoshidama." Not sure what this translates to, but essentially it is money in an envelope that children receive in celebration of the New Year. As a result of this (an
d some other money Reina received for her birthday) we will be opening up a bank account in her honor.
I think Zane was around 18 pounds at a year and the dr told us the exact same thing, to add butter to his food. I just laughed. He was like Reina, only gained a few oz from 6-12 mo, but it was b/c of how active he was. The dr was happy at his 15 mo appt b/c he is now up into the 25th percentile. =) I still need to schedule his 18 mo one. There are tons of shots huh?
ReplyDeleteI just took Aerci for her 18 month check-up and the Dr. was concerned that she had not gained any wait since we took her in for an appt. in the fall. She was only 21lbs. It also doesn't help that she is not wanting to eat very much, so I think I might start milkshakes or something, but not too worried about it.
ReplyDelete