Friday, December 2, 2011

Many, Many Thanks

Reina's little sister, Kaiya Elizabeth arrived Thanks-giving morning, two days after her due date and one day before her Aunt Liz's birthday.  As soon as she was here, Chris' first comment was, "she's big." And she was.  She was two pounds heavier than Reina, at 8lbs 9oz and an inch longer, 21".  Kaiya had a bit of jaundice and had to return to the hospital in her first week of life 3 times for a bili check (several heal pricks) as well as spend the night on a take-home ultra-violet light bed. So far Kaiya has been more mellow than Reina baby, sleeping in three hour stretches at night, which has been blissful.





Reina met Kaiya at the hospital when Kaiya was only a few hours old and was very excited to hold her. Reina also loved going home with Kaiya, right next to her in the car.  She has transitioned very well and loves her little sister so much.  However, Reina did come to the realization two nights ago that Kaiya, Mommy and Daddy all got to sleep in the same room.  She showed up one night after we thought she was asleep, blanket in hand, and said, "I'm going to sleep in your bed tonight."  We negotiated another book in bed with Mom, and that seemed to appease her.

In addition to being thankful for the delivery of a healthy baby girl on Thanks-giving I have to mention how thankful I am for all of my friends.  Living WAY over here makes times like these difficult, when you can't depend on family.  So, special thanks to Auntie Karen and Jane, and Barbara we've got a freezer full of meals.  I know there are several more who have offered for next week, and I am so happy to not only NOT have to worry about cooking or shopping, but getting to eat some new good food!  Our family has also been very supportive, its just a bit more difficult since there a bit further away.  Thanks to Skype, Grandpa and Uncle Paul have met Kaiya, and hopefully there will be more introductions this weekend.

In a bit of random news, Reina has started a new activity, that reminds me a LOT of myself (I probably started it).  Its called the "guessing game, guessing game," yes, it always comes in twos, and we usually have requests for it while we're in the car. Either Chris or I are to think of something, give Reina clues, and then she guesses what it is: "I'm thinking of a vehicle that flies in the air and is loud sometimes..." When its Reina's turn (and we guess), it usually starts with, "I'm thinking of a bus, that is yellow, and has a lot of kids in it." As you can see, she tells us what she is thinking, but she still gets excited when we tell her we know what it is.  Silly girl.

Mom and Halil are coming to visit December 20th, and we all can't wait (especially since I'll have spent the previous two weeks alone with Kaiya).  And Reina knows that when they are here Christmas is soon.  She is VERY excited about Christmas and Santa Claus.  As the matter of fact, I mentioned to her that we could put up the tree today, but we had to wait until Daddy got up to carry it downstairs.  So, about an hour later (and I had since forgotten this conversation), Chris comes downstairs, and Reina didn't waste a minute requesting the tree brought down.  We'll get the Xmas music going this afternoon and put up the decorations and put some presents under the tree (which she was very concerned about).

Kaiya goes in for her two week check up next week (12/7), so I hope to report then.


No comments:

Post a Comment