Saturday, June 20, 2009

A wedding and a giggle





We went to a wedding last night. It was for our good Japanese friends, who we've known for several years now (hmm...maybe 8 years?). They had a traditional okinawan wedding, and it is definitely something to write home about! We, well I should say I, was very worried, as the wedding reception didn't start until 6:45pm. As you know, Reina likes to be getting ready for bed and because everyone has left for the states already we had no choice but to bring Reina. She cried on the way there until Chris jumped in the back seat with her. It was actually really sweet. Reina just needed his prescence to calm herself and fall asleep. The we had to get her up to go into the wedding. When we walked in, there were several tables in a large room holding about 300 people. There was a very loud woman narrating everything in both Japanese and English. Kaori and Kazuki walked in with traditional kimonos on. I included a pic. There were several performances, like Eisa dancers (traditional Okinawan dance) and music played by reletives of the bride and grooms family. It was really great. I think our favorite part, however, was when Kazuki appeared on stage from a lift (like a rockstar). Then Kaori came out (and now they have changed into more western style wedding clothes) and she was singing an American song (karaoke style) to Kazuki, that he eventually joined in on. It was awesome, and something CHris and I had never seen before. So, where was Reina during all of this - she was wide awake taking it all in. And she didn't let go of Chris shirt until we brought her back to the car to go home. She then, promptly started screaming...yes, screaming, until we finally got her out of her clothes, into her pjs, and fed her. Ugh. We didn't stay for the whole wedding; we figured we had maxed out Reina and we didn't want to push it, but the good news is if she could handle that, she can handle about anything, assuming we don't pass her off of course!

Reina has a laugh, but apparently Chris and I just aren't that funny. We've heard it about 5 times and it had been a while until yesterday. She got quite excited when I played peek-a-boo with her. See the video.
Well, now for our next adventure. We fly out tomorrow for a week in Seoul.

PS - notice how Reina and I are matching!


1 comment: