Friday, July 31, 2009

More firsts!

It finally happened. Reina slept through the night. And when I say "through the night" we're talking 11+ hours. Yep, just like any other day, Reina insisted on being put to bed around 7. So at 7:15, she was out. I didn't hear from her again until 6:30am! Amazing. Of course I was up, ready to go at 4:30am, but that's despite the point.

Other firsts include, vocalizing consonants. Most of you are familiar now with Reina slew of sounds, to include "AHHH" and "UHHHHH." Her first consonant...."Ma!" I was honored; Chris, he said "maybe that's why they use 'mama' and 'papa,' since little babies can say those things first!" When was the very first time I heard her utter these adorable words, oh about 3am the morning after we returned from the states. Crazy girl! She has since continued to utter them at random times, but usually when she is upset (which is of course very sweet, since it sounds like she's crying for me). She has also thrown in an occasional "ba" or "pa." The video is from the car, so the picture isn't great, but the point is made.

So what might have provoked this random decision to sleep through the night? Perhaps it was the introduction of breakfast. Reina has had cereal for the last three days now. However, after much discussion with Chris, we both agree that the cereal had nothing to do with the sleeping. The amount Reina actually ingests each morning, probably about a tablespoon at best. OK, then maybe it was Reina's first swim in the ocean that did it. We went out to Maeda yesterday and we all got in the water. It was HOT outside and the ocean was also pretty warm, much to our surprise. Anyhow, Reina seemed to be OK with the ocean and the sand. Chris felt she was more oblivious to the whole experience, but I maintain that she enjoyed it. Again, we both agree that the beach trip was not the reason she slept more. And if it was, good, cause Reina and I will be having swimming lessons next week, so that can get her good and tired.

At this point we'll leave sleeping through the night to good luck, but perhaps she'll do it again tonight. I can only hope!

1 comment:

  1. Well, that has only happened to us once, BUT, she's had a couple 5 am wake ups lately...which rock! Hopefully Reina just continues and you guys will get some more sleep!

    ReplyDelete